The news today is of a new watch company, Sonic Watches, and their first product, the Barracuda. Water resistant to 2,000m (6600ft), it’s a mechanical dive watch of excellent pedigree:
- Solid 316L stainless steel case, 45mm by 16.6mm, 253g on bracelet.
- Helium escape valve at 9 o’clock for saturation divers.
- 4mm sapphire crystal, double AR coated.
- Screwdown caseback and crown.
- ETA 2824 Swiss movement — top grade, adjusted in four positions.
- 120-click bezel.
- Massive amounts of SuperLuminova C1 on bezel, hands, and dial.
- Optional customized dial text.
- Models available with Plongeur-style hands, leather straps, or rubber.
- List price 599 Euros (introductory), 503 Euros if you’re outside the VAT area (which includes us Americans, yay!).
We’ve spoken with founder Peter Schall and hope to have a review watch once the furor calms a bit; the low price has apparently gotten a lot of interest. We look forward to learning more.
By Paul Hubbard