Gruppo Gamma Vanguard Watch Review
Gruppo Gamma. It might be a brand you have heard of , and it may not be. Either way, right up front, Gruppo Gamma for the most part, produces homage watches, mostly Panerai inspired homage watches. Now, I know some people have issue with homage watches, but Gruppo Gamma has become a popular brand in the internet watch community, and I decided to review one here for WatchReport. One thing I want to state is if you are only familiar with the homages from certain brands in China, that are of very cheap quality, these are not the same thing. Gruppo Gamma continues to strive to upgrade and make a better product and their watches are well finished, have quality movements and crystals and nice leather straps. Even their packaging is high quality.
So, onto the model being reviewed. The Gruppo Gamma Vanguard Dark or Vanguard G-12D.
This version has a Gunmetal PVD case, and comes with 2 leather straps. one black leather and one brown. It is also available in stainless versions with a blue or black dial, and also has a California dial option.
As their website states “The Vanguard, our first Mk III model, is based on our belief that the Rolex Ref. 6152 would by now be slightly smaller, slimmer and more wearable to keep up with the times.” For some that are not familiar, the Rolex they speak of, had a very similar look, with similar lugs. Many might immediately think Panerai or even Ennebi homage, but the Rolex is where they got the inspiration for this model.
Below, you can take a look at my video presentation and my initial thoughts.
- Movement: Miyota 8215, automatic, 21,600bph
- Functions: Hours & minutes
- Diameter: 44 mm excluding crown and lugs
- Thickness: 15 mm
- Weight: 140 g with strap
- Water resistance: 20 ATM
- Case: 316L stainless steel, gunmetal PVD finish
- Crystal: Sapphire, double domed with underside anti-reflective coating
- Dial: Black, 2-layer with yellow lume
- Hands: Silver color, with yellow lume
- Crown: 316L stainless steel, screw-in
- Caseback: 316L stainless steel, secured by screws
- Strap: Black, leather, length 130 x 80mm, width 24 x 24 mm, raw edges
- Buckle: Pre-V, 316L stainless steel, gunmetal PVD finish
- 2nd strap: Perfect Tan, leather, length 130 x 80 mm, width 24 x 24 mm, raw edges
- 2nd buckle: Pre-V (thick), 316L stainless steel, gunmetal PVD finish
- Price $370 USD
So what you have here is a Panerai/Rolex homage, at a price of $370 that has a domed sapphire crystal, a Miyota 8215 movement and and 2 leather straps.
The Vanguard comes in a nice zippered and padded case, has a somewhat plastic/rubber feel to it, but it is somewhat hard and lined with foam padding to protect from drops or in shipping. On the front is the Gruppo Gamma skull and rose logo, which you will also see on the case back of the Vanguard as well.
- 1 2